Old July 24th 03, 10:50 AM
Tom Wagner

I use an 80 watt Weller iron. It holds far more
heat (not temperature) than my 250 watt soldering
gun. Because of the heat capacity of the iron,
the holes solder very quickly and easily. It is not
necessary to pre-tin the braid.

A 100 watt iron might be a little better, but they
are harder to find. Some hardware stores carry
the 80w Weller.

Tom - N1MM
Check out the N1MM Free Contest Logger at:
http://www.n1mm.com
"W7TI" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:33:18 -0500, Bob Miller
wrote:

Get a 175 watt Weller, then you'll be able to solder it through the
four holes in just a few seconds, like it's designed for.

Bob
k5qwg

I have a 250 watt Weller (about 45 years old now) and soldering through
the four holes is a pain, as well as being uncertain. Soldering the
braid where it enters the connector can be done with a 40 watt iron,
helping avoid damage to the coax.

Give it a try, you might like it.

--
73, Bill W7TI