Old November 25th 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jayson Jayson is offline

Default JB Weld Waterweld and/or Loctite repair epoxy for dipole insulators??

Thanks to all. I decided not to use the Waterweld due to the uncertainties.
I tried to use what coax seal I had left since Radio Shack no longer sells
it and I lacked time to get more, so what coax seal didn't seal I covered
with electrical tape followed by a couple of coats of liquid electrical
tape.

I think my original question here was a little misleading. I really wasn't
needing a support insulator, but a proper seal. I was building a folded
gain dipole for 20 meters out of 300 ohm twin lead, so the ends had to be
sealed as well as the two center places where the beams connect. Hard to
explain, but I sealed as above. Hope it holds up.

Jayson

"dave" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:37:05 -0500, Jayson wrote:

I recently came across some JB Weld Waterweld and Loctite repair putty.
I have used this two part hand moldable epoxy for various indoor
projects and have met with success on a number of occasions. I am now
preparing to erect a dipole and I am wondering how well this epoxy would
work for the center/ end insulators? My main concerns are UV,
weathering and of course longitudinal strength. Anyone have
experiences/ recommendations they can share?

Thank you.

These are cheap enough, eh?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup/3720.html