Old November 29th 11, 05:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Horne[_2_] Tom Horne[_2_] is offline

Default Stub J-pole for six meters

Tom,

The clever thing with the Arrow implementation is its dual band
version where it is mechanically elegant. Does it lend itself to
scaling up by near three times?

It isn't clear that you wanted a dual band version, though there are
hints.

If you are looking for a single band antenna as implied in the
subject...

Yes I am only concerned with the six meter band.

As you have noted, the total height of the J pole for 6m is a
potential issue.

You could look at it as essentially an end fed half wave with a
rather large impedance matching device (~1.5m).

I am told that the matching section could be at ninety degrees to the
radiating element without any loss of function. Can anyone confirm
that this is true.

There are other more compact ways to impedance match an end fed half
wave. The question for you is whether you can devise a robust
implementation.

OK You have my attention. I look forward to hearing about them.

Is there advantage in using aluminum tube over wire? Well, obviously
the wire needs support, but perhaps a telescoping fibreglass pole and
wire with a matching network in a PVC box is another robust option.

Since it might have to be deployed when nigh winds are expected I
wanted to stay with a self supporting design.

Keep in mind that end feeding a half wave reduces the common mode
current flowing to the feedline, the feed point voltage is highest at
exactly a half wave. You might find a slightly shorter radiator to
deliver most of the 'ground independent' feed, but with slightly less
demands on the voltage rating of the matching network. It may be
prudent to make your matching network adjustable to provide for
locations where proximity to other things changes the tuning.

I said fibreglass (meaning literally glass reinforced plastic), and
that doesn't include graphite or carbon fibre. A lot of these fishing
poles are now made from graphite, and that introduces potential for
loss.

BTW, I am not sure that your 'design' of the pattern is all that
sound, however real antennas near lossy soil just don't have very low
angle major lobes... so what you want happens for probably any low
makeshift antenna.

Are you saying that the J-poles pattern is inappropriate to the task
of getting the signals up out of the hole I would really like to hear
why that is true

Owen

--
Tom Horne