Old May 19th 04, 02:45 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:31:08 GMT "Rich Grise"
wrote:

"Jim Adney" wrote in message
.. .
On 16 May 2004 07:06:24 -0700 (Steve
Kavanagh) wrote:

The capacitors used in both cases are from unknown sources and were
probably manufactured in the early 1980's.

That may be the secret here. In the past, I've used silver mica caps
in a number of applications with positive results. The only problem
I've ever seen with good quality ones was a single one in a 40 year
old HP amplifier that had become leaky.

If silvered mica caps are so crappy, why did they ever use them in
the first place?

I was not suggesting that they were crappy. I was suggesting that of
all the high quality ones I have worked with over many years, I've
only seen 1 failure.

His experience may well be due to the fact that his were of unknown
origin and unknown quality.

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA