Old May 18th 04, 01:02 AM
Ken Smith

In article ,
Steve Kavanagh wrote:
[...]
I have just been observing the same sort of frequent jumping behaviour
(up to a kHz or so at a time) in another local oscillator (output at
about 10.5 GHz, phase locked to a crystal oscillator around 100 MHz).
I note that this one also has dipped silver mica caps in the crystal
oscillator and I wonder if it too would be improved by replacing them
with NP0 ceramics.

Do the silver mica caps say "made in china" on them? Are they a light tan
color? If either of these are true chances are you will get a better cap
made from ear wax and tin foil. Somewhere in China there was, and perhaps
still is a factory, that made silver mica caps that change value if you
squeeze them between your fingers and go open if you heat cycle them.

I've never had much trouble with CDE caps.

forging knowledge