Old December 4th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dave dave is offline

Default Off topic garden question for the hams please??

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 08:43:31 -0500, Tuuk wrote:

Yes, thanks all hams, yes, excellent advice.

I don't want to put in a composting pile as I feel that might attract a
lot of mice or animals as my neighbors have told me. I know the pile of
leaves gets warm in the middle. One neighbor told me about nitrogen, my
situation required nitrogen and the region here has a byproduct from our
waste and they call it bio wastes and the farmers line up apparently for
it. He said he can give me a couple pails but he says it is very potent
or almost 95% nitrogen. And he says the ministry of environment wants to
know about it and fill out a bunch of forms.
I like the idea of a composter, easy to do, looks managable. Thanks
again hams for the great advice. I know it is off topic but as I said, I
get a lot of good advice from this group, the gardening groups are not
active or attached to my news server. Much appreciated.

73s and happy holidays

"Ozric Terminator" wrote in message
Tuuk wrote:

My question is what should I do? Should I mix in manuer? or
furtalizer? Should I do something with this mixture now? Will it be ok
on its own after a few years ? will these leaves breakdown on their
own? should I put
more leaves in? I think 50 bags is a lot.

Any advice or tips is much appreciated. Thank you 73s

The breakdown of leaves is a dfferent process than that of making
compost and takes a lot longer. You should not add leaves to you soil
but in time the worms will eat it all up.

Use the leaves to make leaf ulch which you can then use on the surface,
see
http://www.hereandthere.org/making-m...om-leaves.html

Turn it when it starts to get warm or you may end up with an ash pile.
Any green waste (no sticks) will feed it. I used neighbors' lawn
trimmings and leaves. I never needed any extra boosters. Only critters
you get is earthworms. Their poop is the fertilizer. I think the nitrate
may inhibit earthworms. Earthworm casting is the fertilizer you get from
a succesful compost situation. Build in on the ground.