Old December 8th 11, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Feedline suggestions?

"W5DXP" wrote in message

On Dec 8, 4:01 am, "Wayne" wrote:
However, I'll try 20 again if I get a longer radiator up.

5/8WL on 10m is ~0.3 WL ( 1/4WL) on 20m so it will have an
inductively reactive feedpoint impedance around 78+j200. A series
capacitor of ~56 pf at the feedpoint on 20m should result in an SWR on
the coax of ~1.5:1.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

-
Thanks for the info Cecil. It turns out that a 10m 5/8 would be too long to
meet the wife's "requirements".

I haven't gotten into describing the antenna "problem" in detail, but here
is a synopsis:
Space is available for 2 verticals to be mounted on top of a metal patio
cover, and they should not be prominently visible. That limits the total
length of each to about 11-12 feet. A base mounted remote antenna tuner is
not desired.

Band coverage is desired for 40 through 10 meter cw. One antenna, a 11 foot
bugcatcher, is used on 40/30/20. The other antenna that is being pondered
has a configuration of tuner/ 25 ft of coax/11 ft whip, tunable at least
from 10 through 17 meters....thus the interest in low feedline loss.

With further consideration it appears that the loss in 25 ft of coax is not
a game changer. Experimentation continues, and results are positive so far.

Wayne
W5GIE