Old December 10th 11, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default Scotty, I need more power

On 12/9/2011 1:37 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
On 12/8/2011 5:36 AM, David Ryeburn wrote:
This evening I checked the blog of VK1OD, which is always interesting.
The most recent posting there is "A medium priced generator set from
eBay". Worth reading.
http://www.vk1od.net/hardware/genset/index.htm
Another example of getting what you pay for.

Thanks for the link. One part caught my eye:

"Since this generator will be used with multiple appliances
of Class II, the neutral was bonded to the earth conductor
to allow the effective use of a portable RCD device."

... and I'm curious why that would be necessary. Of course, the author
is using 240 Volt, 50 Hz power, but I thought everyone kept neutral and
ground leads separate.

73,

Bill, W1AC

By code Neutral and Ground are bonded in the main service entrance box.

I have heard folks tell of portable generators where that is supposed to
"Cause Problems" however any portable generator or fixed generator
designed to supply power to a stick-build house.. Has got to be able to
deal with that.. Since many times a Generator transfer switch (Every one
I've seen) leaves neutral and ground bonded, and in fact cross
connected.. Only the "HOT" (L-1, L-2) Leads are switched.

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.

-----