Old December 14th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
NT NT is offline

Default Building a new shortwave tube radio

On Dec 14, 8:21*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 12/2/2011 7:06 PM, flipper wrote:

Bottom line, for the performance/cost ratio you can't beat solid state
and a robot assembling the stuff at warp speed. And it can be done so
cheaply you're better off to chuck it and buy another one assembled at
warp speed.

NT

Yeah, like computers. *Every year I build another, from components ...
however, I usually choose to keep my video card if no major improvements
in them are available ... keep my 1200W power supply--since it still
provide much more power than I am using, keep my network card ...

But, *a new motherboard is something frequently upgraded--along with
processor ... maybe memory ... maybe hard disk ... etc.

Modularized radio and you could have dozens of audio boards, low to high
end audio, right up to HD ... new dials, new readouts, new 3.0 USB
interface to a computer, etc.

No, modular radio simply would be best for consumer and bad for
manufacturers ... who like very proprietary systems ... they would
scream at having to attempt with a generic radio platform which could be
just am or any combination right up to microwave bands ...

But, you did manage to mention the real truth of why it is not demanded
by consumers ... consumers are simply too stoopid to realize the
benefits and ask for them ... end of story.

Regards,
JS

Its usually the manufacturer that introduces a new line, consumers can
only buy from what's available.

NT