Old May 31st 04, 08:43 PM
Ken Scharf

Ashhar Farhan wrote:
I have just completed a new SSB transceiver that is very easy to build
and fun to use.
It is specially designed for beginners.
Check it out at http://farhan.net.co.nr/bitx.html .

Highlights a
1. Very few coils to be wound.
2. Just 16 common 2N222 varity transistors used everywhere except for
the the IRF510 in the PA.
3. Works without a slow motion drive! Uses two knob tuning for coarse
and fine tuning.
4. Uses fewer different values of resistors and capacitors.
5. Stable design.

73s.
- Farhan

I've bookmarked your page and the one you linked to for futher
reference. I'm in the process of designing and building a rig myself.
The final parameters are in flux at the momement. I recently bagged
a lot of 414 8.3688 mhz crystals on ebay (at less than 5 cents a rock)
in HC6U cases. I need to build a sweep oscillator to build a filter
around these cystals. However since my rig will be using an AD9954 DDS
vfo (which HAS sweep ability built in with a ram lookup table) I think
I will be building the vfo / microprocessor section first! I have a
number of PIC chips on order and I am getting the development tools
installed on my Linux box. I'm also in the process of building a PIC
programmer. (Amazing how one project spawns many others!).

I'll probably use a pair of IRF510's in push pull for my final. I've
heard they can produce as much as 40-50w out, but I'll be happy to get
25w. I've been stocking up on -2 and -6 toroids whenever I found a
batch on ebay. I had this crazy idea of building a switchable bpf
into an old TV turret tuner with removable coil strips. The band
switch would be the old tuner, I could add a 12 position rotary switch
to the back and have the micro processor read the switch.