Old December 21st 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default ARRL and the NTSB recommendation on drivers and electronic devices

On 12/18/2011 9:47 PM, Patty Winter wrote:

Now, that still raises the issue of talking and driving (not to
mention holding a microphone), but I'm still not sure it's quite
as bad a situation as cellphones. If necessary, a ham can drop
the mic and the other people listening will realize immediately
that something came up that required his/her attention.

I do agree with you, and have dropped the mic on occasion.

I might add.. The POLICE do the very same thing.. Though some
departments train the shotgun rider to hold the mic and use the radio,
what do you do when you patrol Solo? The department I dispatched for
always trained the driver to drive and talk at the same time.

So do Cabbies, Firemen, EMS drivers, Tow Truck drivers and many more.

Several major differences.. The microphone on my radios is tethered, If
I drop it I can recover it without taking my eyes off the road (later)

All 5 of the 2-way radios in the cockpit of this motor home, and the
"main" Radio elsewhere are like that, Same with the police cars and
other emergency vehicles I've seen.. but in today's world of hand held
cell phones that is NOT the case.

cell phones are held to the ear for the most part.

Another thing I have found... My Attitude when using a cell phone is
very much different from my attitude when talking on 2 meters (or one of
the other radios) On the phone I switch considerable attention to the
phone..

Someone (Einstein was creadeted on the page I saw it on but I doubt he
ever said this) said anyone who can safely drive a car while kissing a
pertty girl is not paying enough attention to the girl.

Cell phones are like that.. Safely driving and using a cell, not easy to
do.. But the radio does not require the same level of concentration
because we 2-way users... Well we are used to providing "Fills" for one
reason or another.
--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.

-----