Old December 21st 11, 01:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
No Name

Default ARRL and the NTSB recommendation on drivers and electronic devices

This year Nevada (where I live) passed a law (S.B. 140,
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...B/SB140_EN.pdf )
outlawing certain practices regarding communications devices while
driving. Primarily aimed at texting and cell phone use, it also
impacts amateurs. Specifically:
1. No text or data entry while driving.
2. Cell phone OK only if no-hands.
3. Hand-held cellphone OK in emergency.
4. Police and Fire exempt while on duty and responding to emergency.
5. Amateurs exempt while in a real emergency or in a emergency drill.
6. Anyone can use voice communications with no-hands equipment.
6. Licensed radio users (amateurs, GMRS, etc, but not CB) may use
hand-held microphones in non-emergency non-drill, if the microphone
has only a push-to-talk (PTT) switch and no other switches.

Regarding item 6, all amateur radio mobile rigs I know of have a
multiplicity of buttons on the microphone. I don't know how I would
get a mike with only a PTT. It's possible that GMRS radios have only
a PTT switch.

I do know about arrangements using BlueTooth earlobe transceivers. But
that's not an option for me because I am deaf in one ear (due to an
attack of the disease Shingles), and a BlueTooth in the other ear
would prevent me from hearing traffic noise.

In the year 2000, just after upgrading from Technician to Extra (Thank
you, FCC, for lowering the code speed), I bought a Icom 706MkIIG
mobile HF tranceiver and a screwdriver antenna. While driving along a
back road, I tried tuning across the 20 meter phone band. In a very
short time I ended up in the ditch. (Fortunately, southern Nevada is
all desert with no naturally growing trees, just tumbleweed.) I shut
off the radio, and when I got home I uninstalled it and the antenna.
Now the only use the radio gets is on Field Day.

Dick Grady, AC7EL