Old December 21st 11, 01:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Alan Alan is offline

Default ARRL and the NTSB recommendation on drivers and electronic devices

In article Steve Bonine writes:

It amazes me to think that there are people who are reasonable in other
respects, but who can say with a straight face that there is no evidence
that using ham radio while driving results in distraction. Somehow hams
have a mysterious ability to tune around looking for a QSO, check the
antenna match, and carry on a conversation without this activity
distracting them from driving? If it wasn't for the clear danger it
poses, that would be funny.

What clear danger?

Tuning around looking for a QSO? Does that mean hitting the up/down
button to scan on a VHF or UHF radio? Perhaps stepping through the
stored memories, since most use those now to keep track of PL tones and
the like.

No method of checking the antenna match exists on the mobile rigs
I have seen. Hard to check it.

Carry on a conversation? If talking to someone while you are driving
overloads your mental capabilities to impair driving, you should not be
driving in the first place.

Clear danger? Even the danger of handheld cellphones is far from
clear. Some very good observations have been made to refute the claims
of the dangers (phones, not amateur radio).

After 47 years as an ARRL member, we parted ways on this issue. I think
it is morally irresponsible for a national organization to encourage
their members to engage in what is obviously dangerous behavior that
puts other people at risk.

Different people have different abilities, as we used to say, some
cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. What seems an obvious
danger to you may be no more difficult than chewing gum to another.

It amazes me that society hasn't figured out that people will multitask
while driving if they can. We would be far better off to educate folks
on how to do it safely instead of simply preaching abstinence.

Alan
wa6azp