Old December 21st 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Patty Winter Patty Winter is offline

Default ARRL and the NTSB recommendation on drivers and electronic devices

In article ,
Alan wrote:

What clear danger?

Carry on a conversation? If talking to someone while you are driving
overloads your mental capabilities to impair driving, you should not be
driving in the first place.

I mentioned earlier that I think other hams are accustomed to mobile
participants dropping out of a conversation suddenly. If the person
was talking when it needs to happen, he/she will usually have time
to say "Hang on." If someone else had the channel, then the other
person simply won't be there next time it's their turn, and the
other hams will go on to the next person. Even if it's just you and
one other ham chatting, they'll understand if you go away temporarily.

I find this to be midway between cellphone conversations (where
there is usually only one other participant and that peerson is
likely to be confused if you suddenly disappear) and in-car
conversations. Regarding the latter, I've heard talk-show callers
say, "If we ban cellphones in cars, what's next? Not letting you
talk to other people in the car?" But that situation is very
different, because someone in the car can *see* when a driving
situation is happening, and as long as they're above the age of
reason, they'll stop talking immediately.

So I don't see mobile amateur radio conversations as being quite
as safe as chatting with another person who's in the car, but I
still think they're qualitatively different from cellphone calls.

Patty N6BIS