Old December 23rd 11, 09:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default DING DONG THE CFL BULB WITCH IS DEAD

On Dec 19, 9:09*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 12/19/2011 12:09 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

MotoFox wrote:

Much as I hate it myself, I do have to give compact fluorescent lighting
props for two things, though--(1) their heat output is far lower than
that of an incandescent bulb and (2) the light output is considerably
better than any LEDs I've ever seen. Personally, I can't figure out why
anyone would want these harsh blue LEDs polluting their houses, ...

That's not the fault of LEDs. LEDs like flourecent lights produce light
in a few different colors. Combining those colors into what you see as
white is done in your brain, and the proportion of those colors affects
what you see it as.

More blue and it looks like the daytime sky (hence the floursecent lamps
called daylight) and more red looks like fire light (hence the flourescent
lamps called warm white).

Early CFLs (around 15 years ago, when I first got them) were all daylight
and produced harsh unusable light. I could only use them outdoors and
in windowless rooms where cheap was more important than color.

Now it is easy to get warm CFLs and they are much more agreeable than
the old blue/green heavy ones the past.

LEDs will also move in that direction as people demand them.

Note that the color affects the way people think, and cool lights make them
more "edgy" which is good if you want people to work harder. Warm lights
make people feel more comfortable and mellow, which is better for homes,
etc.

Geoff.

I never have liked "warm white", always preferred "cool white" and now
that daylight bulbs are just as cheap, I prefer them also, so does the
wife ... and the dim-able fluorescent are nice for room lighting.

Have never noticed light really affecting my mood, or anyone else, for
that matter, but I know people with mental problems are having all sorts
of people attempt to manipulate them with light, colors, food, drugs,
etc. -- any prison or mental hospital and you will find examples ...

All I notice is others home appear dim to me, when bathed in warm white ....

Regards,
JS

My Moose-out-on-a-Limb friends -say-
It Is Better To Curse In The Darkness
-then-to- Read the Koran under CFL Bulbs :
Christian inFidal Light [Bulbs]

blessed are the holy in-can-descents
illuminating the path to energy jihad
praise be the name of ed-Ison ~ RHF