Old December 26th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Davis John Davis is offline

Default ARRL and the NTSB recommendation on drivers and electronic devices

On 12/20/2011 5:42 PM, Steve Bonine wrote:
On 12/19/11 2:00 PM, Phil Kane wrote:

Steve should realize and accept that there's a world of difference
between dispatch communications, which we do, and having a duplex
conversation.

It's not "dispatch communications" that we're talking about. If the ARRL
wants to go after an exemption for dispatch communications, I might be
able to support that. But they're defending the right of hams to
exercise all aspects of their hobby while driving. They're defending
their members' right to diddle with an HF rig, work DX, strain for weak
signals, and so on. The fact that no sane person would do that does not
change what the ARRL is working for. And I've seen people who in other
respects were perfectly sane do exactly this while behind the wheel at
80 mph.

I've been using mobile radios, both ham and non-ham, for decades and
know how to do it safely.

Good for you. Your abilities do not extrapolate into the general ham
radio population.

I spent a
lot of effort to get the ham exemption written into the Oregon
hands-free statute, and I do use a hands-free device with my cellphone
at all times.

We are using an FCC license to determine whether someone is qualified to
drive while operating a radio. They're not required to have any training
and there is no limit to the amount of distraction they can impose upon
themselves.

73, Steve KB9X

I can tell you that at least in my case, and I suspect it is the case
with MANY hams.. The attitude is 100% different if using a Ham 2-way and
a cell phone...

A wise man is supposed to have said: Any man who can safely drive a car
while kissing a pretty girl is not giving the girl the attention she
deserves.

The cell phone is like the girl it demands more attantion than I can
spare when driving.

The radio.. not so much. Not nearly so much.

And the "Dispatch" communactions I did for 25 years .... was 2-way.

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.

-----