Old January 1st 12, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default Vacuum tubes

There is coverage in various places of the US export totals for 2011,
heavy on the fact that our #1 export is fuel. But not far down the list
is . . . vacuum tubes. I had no idea that the US manufactured so many
vacuum tubes or that the market was still so big.

http://tinyurl.com/7ebyodz for the article at the Washington Post

The top exports in 2011 (thru October) were

1 — Fuel: $73.4 billion;
2 — Aircraft: $70.8 billion;
3 — Motor Vehicles: $39.6 billion;
4 — Vacuum Tubes: $37.1 billion;
5 — Telecommunications Equipment: $33.2 billion.

Following the history of vacuum tubes,

2010, #3, $47.3 billion
2009, #2, $37.7 billion
2008, #4, $50.6 billion
2007, #2, $50.2 billion
2006, #2, $53 billion

Looks like the health of the economy really affects consumption.

So where in the US are these manufactured?

73, Steve KB9X