Old January 2nd 12, 05:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Higdon[_2_] John Higdon[_2_] is offline

Default Vacuum tubes

In article ,
Phil Kane wrote:

Varian still sells them - their plant was in Utah the last time I
looked. These are "jugs" the size of wastebaskets with prices to
match. There are two tube rebuilders in California who serve the
broadcast transmitters world-wide as well. I also suspect that
klystrons, TWTs, and magnetrons are in that mix, but 6SN7-s are not.

Everything I tend now is solid state except for four transmitters that
use one each of Eimac 8990 for output. Econco (in Woodland, last I
check) still rebuilds those.

I haven't used anything smaller than 8990 for some years. I know they're
thousands of dollars new, but I haven't bought a new one in ages.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400