Old January 8th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tuuk[_3_] Tuuk[_3_] is offline

Default Yaesu Question on topic???

Hi
Thanks for the responding.

What RF would be causing that near my home's Smart Meter, that new meter
they installed on my home. Are they transmitting the information from that
meter? Wow, when I go near that the FT530 is useless. Should I tell the
electrical supplier to ground that thing or replace it or something? Seems
anything that goes near there is interferred with including mobile phone.

Another side question, do you know a online dealer who sells replacement
batteries for that? I would like the FNB 27 with NMHD. I did a search and
found some that were 40 or 50 dollars plus shipping. If someone knows a
trustworthy source that is economical please let me know the link, thanks

73

"NM5K" wrote in message
On 1/8/2012 8:15 AM, Tuuk wrote:
Hi

I have the Yaesu FT530 handheld two meter and 70cm with battery.

The unit is very sensitive. For example, when ever I hold the unit near
some devices such as my smart meter, all frequencies show receiving
massive amounts of fuzz. When I hold near my phone (Northern Telecom
phone with many lines and displays) it also shows full strength noise.
Holding too close to the TV also, but other areas away from these things
nothing.

What is this unit receiving that would cause it to go useless? Is it
measuring radiation? IMF? RF? Gama? Alpha? Sigma? Cilium? Iodine? EMF?
When I put it near the granit rocks on my sauna heater it shows a small
reading of something, I heard there is radiation in rocks.

Any ideas what the interference is that I am picking up?

It is an older unit I know, are the newer ones this sensitive to area
noise?

Any ideas what this is receiving from these devices or appliances that
is making me curious?

Thanks again hams for any advice,,,

73

It's RF. Unless all that noise is on the fundamental frequency,
it seems to be rather open to out of band RF. Which is not too
unusual with the wide band receivers those radios have.
I bet you also get loads of intermod when in the middle of
large cities. :/