Old January 24th 12, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
coffelt2 coffelt2 is offline

Default Looking for one low-power tube modulation transformer

"it9xxs" wrote in message

Hi, I'm looking for a low-power modulation transformer. I'd like to
build a QRP (5W?) tube AM transmitter for the 10m band. Thanks, 73s,
IT9XXS

The guys presented a lot of great ideas.. If a conventional plate
modulation
transformer is found, and 100% modulation of the final RF stages plate
voltage is achieved, the next logical step (I think) is to introduce
"Negative
Peak Clipping". A highly controversial method that clipped a little of the
negative modulation envelope, and added that same amplitude to the
positive envelope peaks.
100% PLUS modulation! Oh, how the purists did cry! Fact is, that
oscilloscope observations were convincing, over the air observations
while switching the "clipper" in and out were totally convincing. It
worked! There was a little commercial AM broadcast testing, with
FCC strictly against such abhorrent practices, but it did work. I swear.
On the receiving end, the audio sounded much like the current
practice of Television stations "enhancing" commercial advertising.
The received audio amplitude would increase startlingly.
Detractors "proved" mathematically that this distortion of the AM
envelope introduced undesirable sidebands, but hey, with my
10 watts input to a 2E26 final, nobody ever complained.
Time frame, AM glory days 1955 to 1958.

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ