Old February 7th 12, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
NM5K[_4_] NM5K[_4_] is offline

Default AEA ISOPOLE antenna

On 2/2/2012 4:24 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
I have the cones from a 2M AEA ISOPOLE antenna and I am tryig to find
information on how to fabricate the upper radiator. One thought was to
use a mobile 5/8 antenna that screws onto a UHF connector. slot the
end of the mast so it can be clamped to the connector with a hose
clamp and then mountthe cones per the AEA assemblyinstructions. My
first attempt to do this was a failure but the old antenna I used may
have been bad. Before I throw good money after bad I was wonderig if
this should have worked.

Jimmie

In theory I would think it should work. But I'm not sure of
the values used for the matching section in the original whip.
It shouldn't really be that critical, but it is a dual 5/8 collinear
rather than a 5/8 ground plane. I don't know if that changes things
matching wise or not. IE: are they matching only the upper element, or
both? I'm not sure.. :/
Remember that the upper cone is part of the lower 5/8 element, and
it's overall length including the mast tip above it should be equal to
the upper 5/8 whip. In the original, both the upper and lower elements
were appx 50 inches each, or appx 100 inches total, which does not
count the lower decoupling cone.