Old February 14th 12, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Repeater Receivers

wrote:
Looking for input on repeater receivers, what works, what doesn't,
what is available. Currently am using a Hamtronic R302 (second
replacement), need something more reliable, with external squelch
control, and volume control (for external speaker monitor)/ with
monitor amp.

Many people use Motorola receivers.

Some use the older repeaters such as the MCS-2000 or MSF-5000, and many use
the Maxtrac and similar radios.

There are many two channel VHF 25kHz radios floating around, most too good for
the dumpster but not good enough to use. Once they become illegal for commerical
operation (Jan 2013), they will end up in the dumpster.

The Maxtracs and MSF-5000's need to be programmed, but that's not too
difficult to find someone to do it for you if you can not do it yourself.

Many of them have discriminator output which is pre squelch, pre shaping
and filtering and pre volume control. On the front panel is a speaker and
volume control, but you can fit an external speaker if needed.

Repeater builder.com has plenty of articles on them.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(