Old February 21st 12, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Wouxun KG-UV3D 2m/440 HT

Scott wrote:

OK, I'm a bit confused. At the top, you say it meets or beats FCC
technical standards then and at the bottom, you say hams would be
lowering their standards buying this "piece of crap". So why is it
junk? Because it wears down a battery in use? So would a mobile or
base radio running on a car battery...

I think he was complaining because the early radios (before Part 90
certification) were not quite compliant on 2m in terms of spurious radiation.
In practice they were ok if you used a resonant antenna.

Once they were "cleaned up" for part 90 certification, they were fine.

This is pretty common with Chinese radios, the CW QRP rig sold by both MFJ
and Ten-Tec were the same way. The original radios sold from China as a
kit and later from Canada via eBay also lacked proper filtering.

The radios were three band, the Ten-Tec version is two band, the MFJ version
is single band. Both have improved filtering and are legal in the US.

Note that several of the Japanese companies are using factories in China,
so the difference between a name brand an unknown brand may be very little.

Bottom line, if you bought them from eBay vendors a year ago, you may have
problems, if you buy them today it should be ok.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(