Old March 3rd 12, 03:59 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
alpha male alpha male is offline

Default What's the most accurate elevation tool on the net (freebie)

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 00:10:32 -0800, miso wrote:
Have you considered running SPLAT!

I just installed the Splat (Surface Path Length And Terrain) RF analysis
application (version 1.3.0-1) from the default Ubuntu Software Center.
- http://joysofprogramming.com/install-splat-ubuntu/
- $ sudo apt-get install splat (dpkg -s splat)

It's apparently a command-line tool which needs me to download the
database so it may take a while to figure out.

Googling for a "splat!" tutorial, I find it's also a photoshop hack so
it's actually hard to figure out how to use it on the fly.

Q: Do you have a working example or two for how to use it from the
command line?

Quote:
$ splat --help

*** ERROR: No transmitter site(s) specified!

$ splat

--==[ SPLAT! v1.3.0 Available Options... ]==--

-t txsite(s).qth (max of 4 with -c, max of 30 with -L)
-r rxsite.qth
-c plot coverage of TX(s) with an RX antenna at X feet/meters AGL
-L plot path loss map of TX based on an RX at X feet/meters AGL
-s filename(s) of city/site file(s) to import (5 max)
-b filename(s) of cartographic boundary file(s) to import (5 max)
-p filename of terrain profile graph to plot
-e filename of terrain elevation graph to plot
-h filename of terrain height graph to plot
-H filename of normalized terrain height graph to plot
-l filename of path loss graph to plot
-o filename of topographic map to generate (.ppm)
-u filename of user-defined terrain file to import
-d sdf file directory path (overrides path in ~/.splat_path file)
-m earth radius multiplier
-n do not plot LOS paths in .ppm maps
-N do not produce unnecessary site or obstruction reports
-f frequency for Fresnel zone calculation (MHz)
-R modify default range for -c or -L (miles/kilometers)
-db threshold beyond which contours will not be displayed
-nf do not plot Fresnel zones in height plots
-fz Fresnel zone clearance percentage (default = 60)
-gc ground clutter height (feet/meters)
-ngs display greyscale topography as white in .ppm files
-erp override ERP in .lrp file (Watts)
-ano name of alphanumeric output file
-ani name of alphanumeric input file
-udt name of user defined terrain input file
-kml generate Google Earth (.kml) compatible output
-geo generate an Xastir .geo georeference file (with .ppm output)
-dbm plot signal power level contours rather than field strength
-gpsav preserve gnuplot temporary working files after SPLAT! execution
-metric employ metric rather than imperial units for all user I/O

If that flew by too fast, consider piping the output through 'less':

splat | less

Type 'man splat', or see the documentation for more details.

This compilation of SPLAT! supports analysis over a region of
8 square degrees of terrain.