Old March 4th 12, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What's the most accurate elevation tool on the net (freebie)

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 20:10:17 -0000, wrote:

My objective was to determine my full Maidenhead before there were web
applications to find it.

Some GPS receivers will deliver the Maidenhead grid square directly.
http://www.n7cfo.com/vhf/gps/~gps.htm

I just took my portable, WAAS enabled, aviation GPS to the back yard and
let it average for a couple of minutes.

Since then I discovered why I kept getting different results pre-GPS (long
boring story about map accuracies); turns out the dividing line runs
down the sidewalk across the street.

Chuckle.

We're close to that problem at the local club station (K6BJ):
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/grid-cm8x.html
I had to post this map because operators were constantly calculating
the wrong grid square.

Nearby, is the local intersection of the lat-long lines.
http://confluence.org
http://confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=37&lon=-122
Notice the wide variations in photos by people thinking they've found
the correct location. The problem is that the real intersection is
located on a poison oak infested steep hillside. We posted a DGPS
located marker, but people keep stealing it.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558