Old March 5th 12, 03:30 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
alpha male alpha male is offline

Default What's the most accurate elevation tool on the net (freebie)

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 19:43:47 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/mapdatum.html

Interesting quotes from that helpful reference (with my comments in
parenthesis).

"In the Continental United States the difference between WGS 84 and NAD
27 can be as much as 200 meters." (I wonder how they handle the constant
creep which occurs out here near the San Andreas fault line).

"Every map that shows a geographic coordinate system such as UTM or
Latitude and Longitude with any precision will also list the datum used
on the map." (I'd change "will" to 'should' based on my experience the
past two weeks on the web)

"The Global Positioning System uses an earth centered datum called the
World Geodetic System 1984 or WGS 84." (That's what I prefer.)

"For all practical purposes there is no difference between WGS 84 and NAD
83." (Good to know.)

"On a USGS topographic map ... The datum will always be NAD 27... A
dashed cross in the SW and NE corners of the map gives a visual
indication of the difference between the two datums." (This is good to
know.)

"If you are engaged in a mission that requires more [than several hundred
meters] precision, then your datums should match." (Since we're siting
antennas on private hilly land, we probably want two or three meters
accuracy in position and a half-meter to a meter in elevation accuracy so
our datums must match.)