Old March 6th 12, 02:35 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What's the most accurate elevation tool on the net (freebie)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 19:46:16 +0000 (UTC), alpha male
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 19:43:47 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/haat_calculator.html

This is an interesting antenna HAAT (Height Above Average Terrain)
program ... but I'm not quite sure what use it is because it gives a 360
degree average height ... but most 2.4Ghz antennas I'm dealing with are
directional.

You enter the latitude, longitude, & height of the antenna, and then it
tells you, for example, for 360 degrees, the average antenna height above
ground for 2 to 10 miles along each radial, the result of which can go
negative.

I wrote that before you disclosed what you were trying to accomplish.
Had your intent to obtain accurate altitude readings been for the
purpose of applying for an FCC station license, you would have needed
the HAAT calculations to estimate coverage area. For building you
mesh network, you don't need HAAT calculations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAAT
The first paragraph should explain what HAAT means.

The output is a text file. It's interesting, but, without graphics, I'm
not sure how to use the results properly when just going point to point.

Hint: You can always take a table of number and create a graph or
graphic. Going the other direction is not so easy. Most propagation
and antenna design software generates an output table (text file),
from which a graphic is later generated.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS