Old March 9th 12, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
NM5K[_4_] NM5K[_4_] is offline

Default Omni

On 3/9/2012 10:13 AM, dave wrote:

WABC on the rocks

http://www.musicradio77.com/transm.html

I bet their halfwave is sitting on a bed of 1/2 WL radials.
Most 1/2 wave BC antennas tend to use 1/2 wave radials I'm fairly sure.
Part of this is due to FCC requirements for stability in performance,
etc..
A 1/2 WL radiator on the ground is not immune to ground losses.
It just suffers less than the 1/4 WL.
And a 1/2 wave elevated, really should be decoupled from the feed line
for best performance. Of course, it's not required, but they will
perform better if you use decoupling. Less skewing of the pattern
off the horizon, from feed line currents.