Old March 11th 12, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
DaveW[_2_] DaveW[_2_] is offline

Default S-38B Question

I checked the schematic notes and the inverted pyramid symbol is the chassis
ground. The other symbol is the cabinet ground. Apparently the chassis is
isolated from the cabinet except for a single 0.25 mfd capacitor which
connects the two.

DaveW

"coffelt2" wrote in message
First, I don't have an answer, but am preparing to recap an even older
S-38 myself. I think I remember
from many, many years ago, that some of those "hot chassis" rigs had two
ground systems, that were actually connected together at some point.
Something about "ground loops" and hum
reduction. In the schematic you linked here, there are two different
ground symbols. Could one be the actual chassis connection, and the other
sort of a slightly "lifted" or signal/RF ground? Just guessing, hope
someone knows the real answer!

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ

"DaveW" wrote in message
I've begun the restoration of an S-38B. Just started to replace the
filters an I already have a question. The old multi-section cap ground
is connected to pin 2 of the 35Z5 rather than directly to the chassis
ground as shown in the schematic he
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...gFilterCap.png
Pin2 is connected to the chassis ground through the filament string,
which has a 125 ohm resistance when cold. Is this a problem or were all
S38's wired in this manner?

The filter cap appears to be original but you can't always be certain.
It's clear other repairs have been made during its lifetime.

If anyone can recall recapping an S-38 I'd be interested in your
observation regarding the filter cap ground wire location.

Thanks,

DaveW