Old March 12th 12, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
coffelt2 coffelt2 is offline

Default S-38B Question

"Channel Jumper" wrote in message
Just last week, I came across one for sale near Pittsburgh.
The owner bought it for $3.00 and was trying to sell it for $100.00

Before I approached him, I informed him about the floating ground issue
and how the radio was dangerous and how it needed a transformer to make
it more safe - due to the fact that it was designed for use with 120 VDC
current not AC...

I could have bought it for $25.00 - but was unwilling to drive 120 miles
to go pick it up.
When I stopped by a couple of days later - he had already sold it.

The radio is of little value - since it only did CW AM and has no
SSB....
Just looking on Flea Bay tells me that they had issues with the
cardboard on the rear of the radio - lot's of reproductions.

It would be ok if all you wanted it for was to listen to local traffic
on the 11 meters - since it is mostly AM anyways!

Channel Jumper

.......and thus fully qualifies as a genuine BOATANCHOR!

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ (Let's hear it for the old S-38 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)