Old June 17th 04, 08:33 PM
J M Noeding

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:03:44 -0700, Tim Wescott

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

That depends on your filter. If you're trying to design a high pole
count filter with really steep skirts and you want to verify it's final
rejection then yes, you need a low phase noise oscillator. This is
probably why he has "low noise" in his title.

can't really see I've got any replies in the wanted direction; If I
wish to measure a receivers ultimate performance I am not interested
in seing something like 60dB selectivity when I am expecting 90dB or
more. Had a discussion with LA8OJ, and he suggested that 6MHz ceramic
resonator might be easier to use than a 15.7MHz xtal, 100kHz tuning
range could be achieved instead of 20kHz. But I suppose it was a trick
to limit the amplitude to improve phase noise of an xtal oscillator

73
Jan-Martin, LA8AK
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c.htm
---
J. M. Noeding, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c.htm