Old April 4th 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Drake TR-4 questions

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:03:26 -0500, Ernie wrote:

I've stared at the underside and tried to follow wires buried deep in
the tightly-bound wire bundles till my eyes are about to pop out. Can
anyone direct me where to find resistor "R-63" which is 22 meg ohm? My
receiver is very very weak, almost sounds dead although I can hear
signals at a very low level and am thinking my AVC may be the culprit.

Can you turn off the AVC and get better results with manual gain? I
don't know if the TR-4 does it, but many radios just hook the S meter
into the AVC line, and many just control the AVC line with manual gain:
if the TR-4 does both of those, and if the S meter doesn't move when you
change the RF gain manually, then that would be a good indication that
something is messing you up.

And, if you can manually crank up the RF gain and get a nice loud signal,
then you know it's AVC!

http://www.wescottdesign.com