Old April 10th 12, 04:48 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob[_8_] View Post
Szczepan Bialek wrote:
In 1909 Marconi wrote:
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_priz...ni-lecture.pdf

"The necessity or utility of the earth connection has been sometimes
questioned, but in my opinion no practical system of wireless telegraphy
exists
where the instruments are not connected to earth."

It is still true?
S*

I hope you have your GSM phone firmly connected to earth, or it would
operate in violation of Marconi's observations.
A mobile device uses the user as the counterpoise.
A vehicle is not physically bonded to the earth - yet still works.
A Mag Mount antenna is not physically bonded to the vehicle body - hence it uses a loop radio to antenna antenna to radio and it changes the way the coax interacts with the antenna.
If the radio is bonded to the body and the antenna is bonded to the body the body is capacitive. Turns the whole body into one big counterpoise.

Maybe this is the reason why a 102 inch whip works better then a mag mount antenna or one of those silly dual sticks on a truckers mirrors...