Old April 12th 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Native Terran Native Terran is offline

Default HF radios

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 02:54:38 +0000, Channel Jumper wrote:

Native Terran;789413 Wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:28:34 -0700, wrote:
-
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 22:16:42 -0400, Native Terran
wrote:
-

I'm looking at the FT-950 from Yaesu or Kenwood TS-590 and Icom
IC-7200.

But other than that, I'm open minded.

But let me add that the radio is for base operations. I have a capable
radio (FT 897) for mobile use. I like it allot. However I'm open to other opinions..

Perhaps someone has used two from my list and can offer a comparison of
those two radios. I'm not an
experienced user but this isn't my first day either. Say top of the
newbee level or the bottom of
the intermediate level. Plenty of things to learn.

Not an unlimited budget, around $2000. I'm 60 and I am thinking about a
radio that will last me the
rest of my days.

Jim KC8UGV

What can't you understand?

Call Bob at Ham Radio Outlet in Delaware.
Unless you have $3300 + for a Ten Tec - the only other transceiver you
can afford that does it all well is the Kenwood TS 590S....

Dealers may be bias towards a more profitable model. Not all of 'em perhaps.

Most hams wouldn't waste their money on two relatively new rigs at the
same time unless they had a unlimited budget or had a problem with the
one or the other.

I was unaware of the short time the Kenwood (590) had been in the market. However soliciting
opinions on various models of radios isn't a waste of time. Maybe I should have listed the Kenwood
2000 as an option.

And I am not aware of any supplier that would just
take the one back - USED and replace it with another new transceiver of
a different manufacturer.

Prolly pretty uncommon. That's why I didn't think of it.

Your best bet is to drive to a ham radio store and look at them before
you buy them.
My experience came from buying a transceiver sight unseen - by
reputation and a recommendation only.

An expensive school...

No one can hold your hand and no one can tell you what to buy.

I was only asking for opinions. My hand-holding days are far behind me. I'm prepared to live by
whatever choice I make. But if I can avoid an obvious land mine, why not.

Regardless of what they tell you - if you look hard enough, with a
electron microscope - you will eventually find something wrong with all
of them.

I'm not looking for the perfect radio (for me) I don't know enough about ham radio to do that sort
of checking - to find every defect.

So, after reading your message (several times) I can't find your ideas on my request for info. Did I
miss them/it?

--
We live in a society exquisitely dependent
on science and technology,