Old April 12th 12, 06:36 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

The reason I recommended BOB @ Ham Radio Outlet is because I have dealt with BOB personally and he has never screwed me.
I'm not completely sure about his bio - but I believe that he has been a ham 40 - 50 years, the same as many of my friends who recommended the TS 590 to me.

On the other hand - you asked about the Kenwood TS 2000 - and I do have experience with the TS 2000.
The TS 2000 is a very old design - I have QST magazines here from 1999 that has that model advertised, it is a very old design.
I would put it in the same class as the ICOM 746 Pro - a lot to go wrong in a little box. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1249

Nobody is going to buy one if they hear that it sucks and is not a very good transceiver.
Most people that does buy one does not have anything else of comparative value to compare it to.
Like making chicken soup out of chicken poop.
Kenwood does a very good job of hiding the fact that the TS 2000 is a compromise between a good HF transceiver and a fairly good VHF / UHF transceiver.
Only, when you combine the two - you have to give up something to get something.
Like buying a 1985 Z/28 - IROC Z/28 Camaro and finding out that the factory stock tires are no good in the rain and the car doesn't go anywhere in the snow. On dry / hot pavement - it is a good performer - period...

Another factor in the 2000 that I do not like is the fact that when it breaks you are not only out a HF radio, but also your primary VHF and UHF radio....

Its much easier to purchase the 590 and a inexpensive mobile such as the Yaesu 8800 or 8900 and have multiband coverage and the opportunity to cross repeat in a emergency then to have a single band VHF transceiver which might be cheaper - but doesn't do anything else such as APRS or UHF or cross repeat.....

If money is an issue, you could purchase the Kenwood TS 480 SAT and still have the autotuner feature and the capability of working mobile.
Although the 590 also makes a pretty good mobile itself...

Like the robot on Lost in Space , I will tell you - warning, warning, danger, danger -- do not buy the ICOM Will Robinson...
Let them make a bunch of them and then let someone else see if they are any good before you plunk down your hard earned cabbage on one...

The FT 950 is another outdated transceiver with it's own set of issues.
The one my friend had, which I used a couple of times was a piece of junk.
When he died, it was arcing inside of the microphone - with no amplifier connected and sitting side by side - comparing it against the Icom 746 pro with 100 watts on the same antenna 10 miles apart.
The guys with the Icoms were checking into the nets on 160 meters and the guy with the Yaesu wasn't being heard....
And the guys with the Icom's were down in the valley and the guy with the Yaesu was on top of a large hill - where he could talk 2 meters for 70 miles the way you would talk with your walkie talkie to the local repeaters...

Like I said before, I had several opportunities to buy it, even for $700.00 and did not and it was only 9 months old when they sold it.