Old April 19th 12, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John S John S is offline

Default Oscillatory flow of electrons

On 4/19/2012 2:55 PM, Ian wrote:
"John wrote in message
On 4/19/2012 2:43 PM, Ian wrote:
"John wrote in message
On 4/19/2012 2:07 PM, Ian wrote:
"John wrote in message
On 4/19/2012 12:47 PM, wrote:

Marconi was wrong about antennas having to be grounded to work.

I think that's a good thing. We wouldn't get signals from satellites
otherwise.

Actually, that begs the question "which planet is the real ground"?

John
KD5YI

Reckon we could hang a dipole all the way from the earth to the moon?

No.

What gain would it have and what frequency would it resonate on, I
wonder.

Well, lessee... gain would be the same as any dipole, i.e. about 1.76dBi
not considering resistive losses because you did not specify a conductor
size. Resonant frequency would be ~.372 Hz. This does not include the
"capacitive hats" of the earth and moon.

73, Ian.

Where would "ground" be?

73,
John
John, "ground" is so "last century" along with "dial-up" and "Cathode Ray
Tube in my television".
Forget "ground". Say "planet" instead. Is that better?

73, Ian.

I did already. But, *which* planet?

Oh - sorry about missing that, John.
How about going for any two planets which form a straight line? This is
surely better than relying on just one planet which might develop an
eccentric orbit (which we could name the "S****pan orbit").
Besides which, someone, sometime in the future, might want to hang a long
wire between the planets (but how much would the feeder cost).

Okay - if you prefer only on planet then I suggest Saturn (let's talk halo
aerials) or Jupiter with its jolly red spot (well, you try getting a tube of
cream THAT big).

I suppose the best evidence of using ground / planet is moonbounce - uses
the ground / planet without an aerial at that end of the path.

Okay. But how many planets have bounced from their "ground" a signal?
Does that mean that they are not really there, just an artifact of
telescopes?

73, Ian.