Old April 20th 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Ground

Ian wrote:

wrote in message
Ian wrote:

He is an idiot that cuts and pastes from web pages.
Most of the pages he uses are historical in nature.
I have no clue what motivates the little idiot to be such an idiot, but
I suspect brain chemical problems.

Hello again. He reminds me of someone who is elderly and thinks that all
textbooks are the same ... so reads the ones from the 1930s and 1940s. This
fits in with the "Marconi was right" persuasion for, surely, Marconi was
synonymous with radio (though those of us who know something about Marconi
know that he developed radio from existing ideas).
I have had to help a few such people with "new" technology such as digital
television, digital radio and digital cameras. They find it hard to accept
that things have changed since they were young.
I'd like to know if Marconi saw his aerial as a device in its own right
(i.e. "here is a transmitter" and "here is an aerial") or simply as the part
of the transmitter that happened to be better at "projecting" a signal than
a piece of wire dangling from the end of a transmitter.

73, Ian.

Marconi certainly concidered an antenna to be a separate piece of equipment
and the word "antenna" comes from his use of the Italian word antenna, meaning
pole, to describe them.

It is becaue of his prominence the word spread to the general public.