Old April 23rd 12, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Edwin Johnson Edwin Johnson is offline

Default Looking For Ideas & Recommendations

Hello Irv,

On 2012-04-23, Irv Finkleman wrote:
1. Is there wire with camoflage insulation? (just kidding!)
I plan on using wire with beige or tan colored insulation. I

I do a fair amount of camping with portable operations and have an 80m loop
and end-fed zepp at the house in a residential area with no restrictions.
Actually, the black or copper wire (when it starts turning from shiny) is
the less visible of all, either against sky or trees. My ef zepp is white
with blue stripes and it actually glistens at certain light angles. You
actually have to look to find the loop in the yard and it is 294 ft long,
made of #16 gauge copper clad.

a 1/4 inch hole in the aluminum window frame. I was going
to feed it through a plastic straw to prevent chafing and
possible short circuiting. Any suggestions on the best way
through the hole to prevent any problems?

With a 1/4 inch hole, actually might be less, you could run a very short
piece (a few inches/cm) of r8x, r59, r58, or any of the smaller coax and
simply trim off the shield at the end and use the middle conductor for the
wire. Also, small rubber, teflon, or plastic tubing such as used in model
airplanes might work.

I use parallel pieces of coax with shields soldered together and connect my
open wire feed to the center conductors to get under my metal framed window.
Actually have a strip of wood with holes for this and close the window down
on that strip of wood. Of course in the winter up in AB you have to be more
careful with cold air than we do in Louisiana. hi

Will listen for you on the air. Good luck.

73 ...Edwin, KD5ZLB
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson