Old April 23rd 12, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman Irv Finkleman is offline

Default Looking For Ideas & Recommendations

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Hello Irv,

On 2012-04-23, Irv Finkleman wrote:
1. Is there wire with camoflage insulation? (just kidding!)
I plan on using wire with beige or tan colored insulation. I

I do a fair amount of camping with portable operations and have an 80m
loop
and end-fed zepp at the house in a residential area with no restrictions.
Actually, the black or copper wire (when it starts turning from shiny) is
the less visible of all, either against sky or trees. My ef zepp is white
with blue stripes and it actually glistens at certain light angles. You
actually have to look to find the loop in the yard and it is 294 ft long,
made of #16 gauge copper clad.

This first antenna here is going to be quick and simple with Tan
colored wire. If that doesn't work, the MKII may incorporate
your suggestion!

a 1/4 inch hole in the aluminum window frame. I was going
to feed it through a plastic straw to prevent chafing and
possible short circuiting. Any suggestions on the best way
through the hole to prevent any problems?

With a 1/4 inch hole, actually might be less, you could run a very short
piece (a few inches/cm) of r8x, r59, r58, or any of the smaller coax and
simply trim off the shield at the end and use the middle conductor for the
wire. Also, small rubber, teflon, or plastic tubing such as used in model
airplanes might work.

I considered the coax feed through but would prefer it all be one piece of
wire from the tuner to the end. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I use parallel pieces of coax with shields soldered together and connect
my
open wire feed to the center conductors to get under my metal framed
window.
Actually have a strip of wood with holes for this and close the window
down
on that strip of wood. Of course in the winter up in AB you have to be
more
careful with cold air than we do in Louisiana. hi

When I had my house, I had so many holes drilled in my basement
window that the frame looked like a strainer. I ran open wire and used
the same arrangement for my open wire feeder -- I've always liked
open wire -- it permitted so much more than a coax fed antenna
system.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Will listen for you on the air. Good luck.

73 ...Edwin, KD5ZLB

Irv VE6BP
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson