Old April 23rd 12, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Looking For Ideas & Recommendations

On 4/22/2012 5:29 PM, Irv Finkleman wrote:
1. Is there wire with camoflage insulation? (just kidding!)
I plan on using wire with beige or tan colored insulation. I
think sky blue or grey would provide the wrong contract.
Any ideas on this?

2. The far end of the antenna will be hanging from and in
the branches of a tree. I will only be running 5W (if I'm lucky)
and wonder about the voltage at the end of the wire. Will some
heat shrink provide suitable insulation to prevent corona from
starting the bush on fire? Is there a better idea? I will be
using PTFE (Teflon) insulated wire.

3. I'll be running the wire from inside my suite through
a 1/4 inch hole in the aluminum window frame. I was going
to feed it through a plastic straw to prevent chafing and
possible short circuiting. Any suggestions on the best way
through the hole to prevent any problems?

4. Is there a way to tell if the glass in my windows
has some property that greatly attenuates signals?
I'd ask the management but I don't want to trigger them
into realization that future QRM will probably be
emanating from my 'shack'! I plan to work the world
while remaining invisible to those around me. If asked,
I'll just explain that the wire is an antenna for my short wave
receiver!!!!

This is the first time I've had to use a store bought rig!
Until now I've either had modified surplus or burned out
rigs which I rebuilt. I've always been an advocate of
low power, but real QRP is new to me too -- and I equate
it to the difference between dynamiting ponds and fly fishing!
Time will tell! :-) When I became ill I gave away all my
50+ years accumulation of valuable ham radio equipment,
tools, test equipment, and books -- collectively A.K.A.
"Junk". It's fun starting from scratch -- at least my shack
is not a terrible mess -- YET!

Do folks still mail QSL cards? Or can I settle for emailing
a graphic equivalent of my own design? I've been off the air
for a couple years now and think that things may have changed
while I was out of the picture. This is not a big problem as
printing and using the local buro shouldn't be too much of
a problem. The hundreds of rare QSL's coming into my
mailbox my invite unanticipated curiosity from the
management.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have. This
is the first time I've run through a metal window frame or
dropped the wire into and among the branches of a tree.

73

Irv VE6BP
Calgary, AB

Just a hair away from being on the air again!

Calgary, is that right? Do you need to allow for snow, ice and wind in
designing your antenna?

I have had good luck while camping, with transparent fishing line at the
end of antenna wire. It has some stretch, is easy to tie to tree limbs,
etc. And a spool will last forever.

Unless you have other ideas for the window hole, put the wire through
and use a hot glue gun to seal the hole. If you can reach both sides of
the hole, do the same on the outside. RTV also works.

Good luck. Paul, KD7HB