Old May 9th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Boomer Boomer is offline

Default Power bar noise filter???

I agree with the comments here. I doubt you will get success with this
product or improvements with any Monster product.

I had a microwave that made noise in my receiver, a lot. It was coming
in from the antenna, not the power line. I figured the microwave was
radiating noise into the power line and thence to my antenna. I took the
microwave apart and installed an inductor capacitor module to suppress
the noise within the steel cabinet. That worked. These modules are not
cheap, even on ebay. Getting a module like this for 15 amps cost me 27
bucks on ebay. \

Once you let the noise out of the enclosure into a power cord, the power
cord will radiate even if there is any suppression at all in an external
filter.

Like I said, you will need an inductor capacitor filter mounted inside
your tv or other device that is radiating emi. Most people are unwilling
to get that serious about things.

There is another horrible possibility. A friend who lived in an
apartment got terrible noise from an adjacent apartment that had a large
plasma tv. LCD tvs don't do this. The noise was actually radiating
directly from the screen. Nothing to be done. He got them to take back
their new tv for full credit and buy an lcd tv. He sweetened the deal
with 100 bucks. LCD tvs generally cost a bit more than plasma.

As was already said, take off the antenna and if the noise goes away, a
power line filter will do nothing.

Michael

On 5/8/2012 7:05 PM, Tuuk wrote:
Anyone have good success with a noise filter power bar? I am looking at
the Monster Power Blackout HDP 660.

I am getting a lot of electrical noise, RFI and I know some comes from
the TV, but when TV is off there is still some anoying noise that I am
thinking a EMI RFI Noice filter would help to reduce this. The rig is 40
years old.

Anyone have any cheap comments regarding any power bar or surge
protector that have the best RFI EMI noice filtering?

Thanks
73s