Old May 19th 12, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Bonnton 190A, voltage stibilizer

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Renan Cysneiros
wrote:

I would like to thank you for your attention regarding my
question,
sorry I have not been very specific, I am referring to an
old AC
ferromagnetic voltage stabilizer used internally in
Boonton Q meter
model 190A whose reference circuit diagram is VR-300, are
two types one
manufactured by Acme electronic, model T-31370 t and
another by General
electric model 69G870 (input 95-130 volts, out 115 volt,60
HZ, 50 VA
power), I know that a simple power transformer would solve
the problem
although it is more sensitive to variations of the
electric Net, If I do
not get an original, I'll have to make a slight
modification, although I
would like to leave it original shape.
Thank you so much one more time ! Renan pp7hp

Actually, you should not need the thing at all, you can
just bypass it
completely if you trust your line voltage.

I have some Sola equivalents around here somewhere, and
Sola still makes
a direct replacement. That would be a Sola CVS series,
type 23-12-060-2.
Newark should have them in stock.

Note that these MUST be used on 60 Hz power. Very bad
things will happen
if you try and use one on 50 Hz. So if you are living in
a 50 Hz country
and it has been removed, it was probably removed for a
reason. You may be
able to order a 50 Hz variant but I don't know the Sola
number offhand.
--scott

But note that in the 190-A if the CVT is removed the
line goes directly to the HV rectifier. That may be OK but
provides no isolation and perhaps a shock hazard. If a
replacement CVT can't be found an isolation transformer
would be a better solution than a direct connection. BTW,
the CVT in my 190-A runs very hot, not normal I suspect
although the voltage out is correct. Its a potted unit so
there is not much I can investigate.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles