Old May 31st 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian[_5_] Ian[_5_] is offline

Default Hopefully not off topic

"Sal M. O'Nella" wrote in message

" Well, with Field Day coming up, I had planned to use last year's 20m
dipole again, but I was on the phone with a guy last night and he dictated
some really easy-sounding plans for a two-element quad. It's supposed to
be good for 6 dB more gain than a dipole. Yes please, I'll take one free
S-unit. We're in the southwest corner of the country, so aiming it is a
no-brainer.

Maybe I can post a diary of the build to amuse you nice folks by
demonstrating my (lack of) skill using hand tools. By the way, we'll be
using N3FJP's "Field Day Network Logger" this year, for the first time.
Last year, one of our guys used N3FJP single-station logger for himself
(400+ contacts) and he registered the network version for the club. I
like it. We've had several good trial runs. Find it at
http://www.n3fjp.com/.

"Sal" (KD6VKW) Club President Club FD Chairman, Principal Elmer
Donation Sales Manager (Jeez -- what am I _not_ doing?)

Hello courteous, dedicated and hard-working (over-worked) Sal.

After that write-up you may get a posting from a certain person telling you
to use a 19th century antenna rather than a modern one. So much better for
throwing those electrons into the aether :-)

I'd be delighted to read your diary. Your hard work will save my hands from
Bandaids and other first-aid treatments. I like to learn through other's
pain. Actually, a two-element quad might be a project for 2013 for me - not
sure if my yagi is still fit for work on 20m - 15m - 10m. Homebrew quads
used to be popular here in the UK some decades ago.

73, Ian.