Old June 20th 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wond[_2_] Wond[_2_] is offline

Default loop antennas and noise suppresion

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:59:43 -0500, Boomer wrote:
(snip)
After at least an hour of
conversation we got to the fact that I had built a portable loop antenna
for 2 meters as a direction finder. He pointed out how sharp the null
was when this antenna was pointed (edge on) toward the source station.
He then said to take this antenna and then turn it horizontal and see if
I could hear anything. Voila. Nothing at all was heard.

(snip)
ISTR with my portable shielded loop, when its horizontal, its omni;
when its vertical, max received signal is when the edge is pointing to
the tx. The null happens when the plane of the loop is at right angles to
a line to the tx.