Old June 22nd 12, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. O'Nella[_2_] Sal M. O'Nella[_2_] is offline

Default loop antennas and noise suppresion

"W5DXP" wrote in message
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:40:40 PM UTC-5, Sal M. O'Nella wrote:
I have no idea how to ground a dipole and I don't think I've ever done it
except by accident.

Apparently, you have never had P-static problems with your dipoles. I,
however, had a coax connector start arcing in the middle of the night and
it sounded like a machine gun.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Nonsuch, Cecil, unless it's been an off-again-on-again
problem that I simply never appreciated for its affect on
my QSOs.

With Field Day coming and my being the Field Day Chairman
for the local club (www.sobars.org), as well as our President,
any diddling with my home QTH dipoles must wait.

I am taking an unproven design for a 20m Cubical quad to FD.
By EZNEC, it looks good but it wants a 75-ohm feed, which I am
prepared to provide. I have a choked cable ready to go.

In your opinion, is there a ground required? At the antenna or at
my van? Both? I own some ground rods and a sledgehammer.

(Last year, I used a 20m dipole at 30 feet, operating out of my van.
Everything floated above ground without incident and many QSOs.)

I value your opiniion.

73
"Sal"
(really KD6VKW)