Old July 4th 12, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
NM5K[_4_] NM5K[_4_] is offline

Default 20m Field Day Quad

On 7/3/2012 6:15 PM, Sal M. O'Nella wrote:
"NM5K" wrote in message

But I really don't care for contest/field day type of
operating all that much.
snip

But generally, my idea of "field day" is kicking back in
one of my lawn chairs, sipping on a cold adult beverage,
and talking to all those good ole buoys on 75 or 40... :/

I'm headed that way, myself. This FD was no fun. I used to look forward to
it.

I was so busy making sure that I met all my responsibilities, I found only a
few hours to actually operate. This came after all the prep work, worry and
concern, including getting an all-electronic network log running. (That our
network logging worked perfectly in no way makes up for my having had
trouble sleeping for weeks leading up to FD.)

Next year, this job goes to somebody else.

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)

FD can be a lot of work. I know dragging a tower and beam
out there got to be a tad strenuous.
And I rarely used the thing myself..
I string up dipoles for me, which is pretty easy to deal with.
But even with an easy setup, I still don't care for contest
type operating all that much. Just not really my cup of java..
I skipped this year again. Too busy with work, even if I wanted
to go.
If I do any more in the future, like I say, I'll probably just
hang out on my own property. That way I can operate at a leisurely
pace, and if I get burned out, I can just quit and go do something
else for a while.