Old July 9th 04, 12:41 AM
Wes

wrote:

||Well here's what I did: I treated it like a peice of coax. I made a
||fixture to hold the "feedthru" with semi-rigid coax on one side and a
||50 ohm chip resistor on the other. I dropped in a short peice of coax
||and cal'ed to that. Then checked VSWR, was about 1.00something. Then I
||took out the coax, dropped in a few feedthrus and got VSWRs about 1.04
||- 1.06, which works out to about 53 - 55 ohms or so.
|| How's that sound?
|
|Like you don't know what you're doing.
|
|Your DUT is a two-port device. If you really have a network analyzer,
|why aren't you using it to measure the device as a two port?
|

|Is two port theory even being taught in engineering schools these days?

Beats me Tom. I'm retired, I know nuttin' 'bout engineering school.

I do know that if someone had brought me these devices to test, the
first thing I would have done would be to try and talk them out of
doing it.

I did that often. I used to see things like big LC power filters with
a solder lug on one side and two feet of shield wire coming out of the
other side with a pigtail on the far end and an attenuation spec that
went from 10 Hz to 10 GHz.

Damn fool engineers would think, well I've got an AMRAAM missile with
a 10 GHz transmitter, so I better have a filter that rejects 10 GHz.
Trying to explain that the device can't be measured to the design
engineer and the spec writer was almost a pointless exercise.

I can say that after my first retirement and subsequent rehire to
manage a components engineering group that was doing the spec writing,
we didn't do that crap anymore.

Specing and measuring feedthru filters was one of the most pointless
things we ever did. The specs all measure attenuation in a 50 ohm
system and the filters are never used in a 50 ohm system. In fact,
nobody ever knows what the source and load Z are at the test
frequencies so they don't know what they need or what they get.

Oh well, it was a pretty good living. Thank you taxpayers.