Old July 15th 12, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Edward Knobloch Edward Knobloch is offline

Default 5U4GB Solid State Replacement

On 7/15/2012 1:15 AM, coffelt2 wrote:
I've never used a purchased solid state replacement, but in days of old
many of us tried
a do-it-yourself replacement. Most had good results. I didn't. I don't
recall using a dropping
resistor as Ed suggests, but it sounds ok. What I had problems with was
the solid state
diodes I was using had a much sharper cut-off (reverse current cut-off)
that generated
a little RF hash that interfered with weak signal reception. There were
others that experienced
the same thing. I was not alone. My RME 4350 ran hot, alright, but
propping open the hinged
access door on top helped a lot. Ed, what did others do to stop the
sharp cut-off hash?

Old Chief Lynn

Hi, Chief

In case of increased hash with the solid-state rectifier
replacement, I'd add two .01 disc ceramic capacitors
to the 5U4 socket, across pins 4 and 2
and 6 and 2. The capacitors should be rated at 2 KV.

73,
Ed