Old July 16th 12, 03:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default 5U4GB Solid State Replacement

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, Bob Grimes wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:15:27 -0400, Edward Knobloch wrote:

On 7/15/2012 1:15 AM, coffelt2 wrote:
I've never used a purchased solid state replacement, but in days of old
many of us tried a do-it-yourself replacement. Most had good results. I
didn't. I don't recall using a dropping resistor as Ed suggests, but it
sounds ok. What I had problems with was the solid state diodes I was
using had a much sharper cut-off (reverse current cut-off)
that generated a little RF hash that interfered with weak signal
reception. There were others that experienced the same thing. I was not
alone. My RME 4350 ran hot, alright, but propping open the hinged
access door on top helped a lot. Ed, what did others do to stop the
sharp cut-off hash?

Old Chief Lynn

Hi, Chief

In case of increased hash with the solid-state rectifier replacement,
I'd add two .01 disc ceramic capacitors to the 5U4 socket, across pins 4
and 2 and 6 and 2. The capacitors should be rated at 2 KV.

73,
Ed

Thanks for all the good advice. It seems like I would just be better off
keeping the tube! I knew that guys on this group would come through with
the solution.

The solid state replacement doesn't use filament power, so the load on the
transformer is less.

Michael VE2BVW