Old July 16th 12, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 5U4GB Solid State Replacement

Bob Grimes wrote:
I have seen the solid state replacement using the octal base for the
tube. I have a Hammarlund HQ 145XC that uses it, and it runs hot after
an hour or so. Just wondering if anyone else has used this replacement.
I found it for $9.99 on Tubedepot.com.

What's in it? Is it just a pair of 1N4007s, or does it also have a power
resistor?

If you replace a tube rectifier with a pair of solid state ones, your B+
voltage will rise. How much? Depends on the load and the original rectifier
type. Measure the B+ with an analogue meter (not a modern high-Z meter)
and compare with the schematic. If the numbers are no more than 10 or 20
volts higher, I wouldn't worry about it. If they have shot way up, I would
add some resistance in there.
--scott